Nigeria's Zamfara attack: Hundreds of schoolgirls feared kidnapped

Hundreds of schoolgirls are feared to have been kidnapped in the north-western state of Zamfara.

A teacher told the BBC that at least 300 students were unaccounted for after the Friday morning attack by gunmen.

A spokesman for the state's governor has confirmed the attack but did not give details.

This is the latest mass abduction targeting schools in recent weeks. Armed gangs often seize schoolchildren for ransom.

At least 42 people, including 27 students, who were kidnapped last week in the central state of Niger, are yet to be released.

In December, more than 300 boys were kidnapped by gunmen and later released after negotiations.

Some of the gunmen were dressed as government security forces, the report said, adding that they forced the schoolgirls in the vehicles.

But other witnesses have told the BBC that the armed men arrived on foot at the school.

February 26, 2021
No comments here yet...
Do you want to add a new comment?